Monday, May 31, 2010

camping in may

We took our first camping trip of the year last week. One of the drawbacks of going in May is that the weather is less likely to cooperate. so we had a lot of rain....A LOT of rain! It didnt seem to bother Nathan at all. Dahlia was not so excited about playing in the rain though.





One of my favorite parts about camping are the smores. ... well the chocolate and marshmellows anyways. I usually only make on smore for myself and then eat all the chocolate and marshmellos individually. I try to feed my family healthy foods but when it comes to camping I let loose a little. I still bought whole wheat hamburger buns though. I dont want my family to be completely malnurished by the time we get home.




We allowed Dahlia to roast her own marshmellow for the first time. she was pretty extatic that she could do it herself. only one caught fire. she is a good patient roaster. and one day take over the job for me.





Me and my "Dickhead" explanation below:




The DickHead Fire










The story of the "dickhead" fire
There are lots of things that a father teaches his kids, some things he would probably rather forget, and some things he probably doesn't even remember teaching. The dickhead fire is one of these. Years ago, when I was much younger, my family used to camp a lot in the summers. One evening walk, we saw some youngish people camping (early 20's ish), with a fire. Not just any fire, but a rather large fire where the wood was overflowing from the fire pit, and flames were about 6 feet high...my dad's response has stuck with me for all these years "Look at THOSE Dickheads and their Dickhead fire.
Ever since that day, everytime I have gotten near a pile of wood that needed to be burned, I have strived to be "that dickhead".
Thanks Dad, this one's for you








On the rare occasion that is wasnt raining we decided to get out for a walk. Dan gave them each a turn on his shoulders. Dahlia was a little freaked out to be up so high. but the picture turned out pretty cute.










Nathan on the other hand was thrilled for a ride on daddy's shoulders. he is my little thrill seeker.






Here is our hotel on wheels. it made the rain a lot easier to deal with. and we are thankful to have this. Dan bought this trailer so I would enjoy camping. he has tried for years to convince me that camping is fun. and I have tried to enjoy it. but tenting is not for me. I like flush toilets hot showers and comfy beds.... and Im not a big fan of dirt! that is something you cant avoid even in a trailer but as long as im warm and getting a decent sleep I can be happy.





Kids exploring around the campsite. apparently there were bears in the area. we did not see any but I tried to keep the kids close explaining that there were bears and they are not of the stuffed variety. it didnt seem to concern them too much though. the day we were packing up to leave the ranger stopped by to inform us that a bear had walked past our site that morning. how lovely. it would have been fun to get a picture of one though.

And Dans favorite part of our trip. he has the job of emptying out the grey and black water tanks.









1 comment:

Anika Lacerte | The Handcrafted Story said...

Love the Dickhead fire, now I will always think of that when we have a wiener roast.

Next time you try smores, if you like caramel, try using a Caramilk bar, it's yummy!