Monday, August 28, 2006



This is written by Dan: Here are 2 of my great ideas that didn't quite pan out...Ok, three, maybe four ideas. The top picture is of me trying to string a tie strap to hold up the tarp. I figured I would throw it up in the tree.......Thats kinda when I stopped figgering. Then there is the floaty suit......HMMM maybe next year.

These are just a couple of pictures of camping on the weekend. Us and one set of Wiebes, as well as the Janzens went to Monck Park on Nicola Lake. I planned the weekend well in advance, and well, failed to notice there was no showers at the park unti 2 days before we went....first problem. Then we went anyway and took our almost one year old daugher...second problem. Babies, Tents, and Cold nights don't go so well. My wife did say that camping is not about having fun, its about making memories, so here is a few to chew on

First there was packing for 7 days to go camping. Then there was the drive up. J+J got the quiet baby in their truck, and well, we got ours. Then we set up the tent (Everybody else set up my tent, it was brand new, Mandy had bought it, and it was kinda interesting). Then came the tarp. I don't do anything small, so a 25 by 40 foot tarp it is. Straps caught in the trees, oh what fun. (maybe it was the fact that I had a couple a beer, I think I needed a couple more). The first night was interesting. Screaming kids, snoring adults. Farting Dads. Saturday was fun. We went to the beach in the afternoon, Dahlia ate sand and rocks and stuff, as you can see by the picture I bought her a floaty suit.....Then we went to Walmart and finally replaced our beater stroller. Saturday night was, well, hmmm, a little worse than friday night. 2:30am Dahlia decided she was done camping. She screamed until 3, I left the tent (naked as always) to find her Tylenol that was "in one of the tubs" (did I mention that we brought a truckload of plastic tubs). After stumbling around in the dark, I found the drugs, and came back to a quiet tent. Until I got in and my daughter started screaming again. Then she stopped, and Hannah started up. Finally there was silence, until a bang resonated across the campsite. The Janzens broke their bed in the tenttrailer (honest, we were just sleeping). So the parents had to switch beds with the kids. Much banging around and shuffling ensued (We didn't know about the broken bed until morning) We thought the Janzens had enough of us and started packing to go home (at 3:30 in the morning). Sunday morning we decided to go home. Irony of all irony, our daughter slept the WHOLE WAY HOME! Now she is sick, but oh so cuddly..... I kind of like the cuddly, but hate the sick.

So, we are planning camping for next year. Different site, and we are bringing a trailer. Are the Janzens and all the Wiebes in for round 2?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'd love to join you guys!! Especially since it sounds like you have worked out the "bugs" of camping & next year should be just perfect, right?

Angela said...

Mandy! I can't believe you braved camping . . . it sounds like you had a wonderful time - - about as wonderful as I had with my family at Cultas when it rained all week and my trailer was over-run by rats. Yaaa!
anyway - I know you're the mystery person who said I was a hottie. Weeeee!!! YOU'RE the hottie!!!

Julie said...

Hmmm...Ummmm...Yeah? I guess after a year to recover we could be ready for round two! Actually if you forget about the lack of sleep the crying babies, the dirt we couldn't wash off, the smells eminating from stinky bodies, it was a fun time. I enjoyed hanging out with you guys and the Janzens. And everyone was very understanding with our little angels!!! (Well, I am not sure about the people across the road from us but we don't ever have to see them again) Won't it be fun if everyone can make it next year and we have 23 people instead of just 11!

dandy said...

Maybe camping is like child birth..you forget the pain soon after!.... I dont know but Im sure we will try it again next year!

Demara said...

This post made me LOL. Fun Times!

Bekah said...

Ok so Dan, you didn't tell the whole tree/strap story...
We're in for next year! we'll bring ear plugs:)Camping isn't about sleeping. It's about memories, like you said. Next year you'll all be pregos and not want to come, I'm predicting...tee, hee hee. We had a great time with you all. Hope it'll work out again for more of us to come.